6.23.2010

50 things that I like.

So I spend a lot of time on this blog talking about shit that I DON'T like. Inspired by niotillfem, I've decided to come up with a list of 50 things that I really like. (She did 101, but I can't go that far. I'm too sarcastic to even feign enthusiasm for living). Here's to a deeper examination of my psyche, and a laundry list that will probably someday need be submitted to a mental health professional for analysis.

Eccentric old cat ladies are right up there, probably because I realize I'll be one some day.

1 The feeling of being the only holder of a secret; when someone tells you something and says "I've never told anyone this before..."

2 The satisfaction of cooking a meal and knowing it will taste good

3 The smell of sweat on someone else's skin

4 Smoking cigarettes on the porch as the sun is setting

5 The exquisite nature of pain that means something

6 Telling someone something honest that is blunt or scary, even to you

7 Wearing only a bathrobe

8 Drinking a bottle of champagne on a Wednesday afternoon with your best friend

9 Singing along to Alanis Morrissette and Melissa Etheridge in a bar and humiliating myself

10 The moment you dunk your head underwater in the ocean and the cold of the water shocks you

11 Finding a new song every week that exactly fits what you're going through

12 Reading about people who have absolutely no reason to be happy, yet they are anyway

13 Walking to work and thinking about all of the history that surrounds me, and all the people who walked these streets before

14 The second of unadulterated joy when you're at a concert and the band plays your favorite song

15 The calm that comes and blankets you post-cry

16 Looking at photographs of family members when they were young, and noticing how beautiful they were

17 Putting on red lipstick and looking at myself in the mirror

18 Finding some amazing overlooked item at a thrift store

19 Calling myself a feminist and atheist and not being afraid of what people are going to think or say

20 Writing a piece of poetry - even a line - and finding it later and remarking at how good it is

21 Looking at massive things (mountains, skyscrapers, the ocean) that make me feel small

22 Watching ridiculously gorgeous women who have no idea how beautiful they are do mundane tasks

23 The challenge of filling a notebook with your thoughts

24 Dancing anywhere, to anything, at any time

25 Meeting a person and feeling a click when you realize that you like them and want to be friends with them

26 Glamorous ingenues of past eras

27 Cities on hills

28 Drinking people under the table, especially if they're men

29 Huge waves that pummel you and knock your breath away, that leave you choking and laughing

30 Creating hilarious monikers for people

31 Putting on a pretty dress even if I have nowhere to wear it

32 Sitting on patios adorned with lights

33 Showing up at a bar that's full of people you know, and realizing that everyone is exactly the same as they've been and will be

34 Being told I'm intelligent

35 Seeing someone's house for the first time

36 Watching my dad get beet red and weep from laughing too hard

37 Rubbing the ears of a cat

38 Carnival lights and being at the top of a Ferris wheel

39 Practicing my handwriting on everything I can

40 Mint chocolate chip ice cream at 7 pm on a hot summer day

41 Finding someone's hand in the dark

42 The way the beach smells just after rain

43 The sound of high heels down a long tiled hallway

44 The feeling of my hair whipping when I'm driving and the windows are down

45 Facing the day in a cool pair of sunglasses

46 Dried roses

47 Reading transgressive fiction that elicits an actual emotional response

48 An incredibly crisp french fry

49 Driving around at Christmastime using the excuse of looking at people's light displays to peek into their windows

50 Stupid things I did when I was 16 that I can reminisce about

No comments:

Post a Comment